Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Pseudo Spaghetti

I am a lover of pasta. At any given time, at any given restaurant, I will order the pasta. This has proved to be a bit of a problem for my stomach, which generally objects to starchy carbs after about 1 pm (I think this is psychosomatic). Cue my pseudo spaghetti, the recipe follows...


To serve two:

Two large zucchinis (use 3 medium or four small) - I use a turning slicer but initially used a vegetable peeler which created more fettucini like strips, if you are into this pasta alternative, I recommend getting a less loathsome appliance than ye olde knuckle shucking vegetable peeler. Try to get relatively straight zucchinis, trust me, it makes life easier.

One small brown onion - chopped finely

One carrot - grated very finely

One garlic clove - chopped or crushed

Pasta sauce - I'm lazy, I'm using the bottled stuff. I use Spiral Foods Organic Garlic and Basil Sauce.

Some basil

-------------------

Method

I sauté the onions and garlic in coconut oil to begin, the onions should just turn translucent, not brown.

Then I add half a jar of pasta sauce and leave to heat up while I begin making magic with the slicer.

I slice and dice the zucchini into strips and pour a liberal amount of salt over the top and toss it about.

Then I add the carrot to the sauce and any pieces of zucchini that didn't make the cut to become fake pasta.

I let this bubble for a little bit while either blanching the zucchini in hot water or just running it under the hot tap, nothing in here requires it to be cooked long at all, to be honest I usually just chuck the zucchini noodles into the sauce and start stirring so they absorb the flavour.

Final thing is to add some shredded basil and stir again.

Ready to be served.

-------------------

This takes next to no time to make also is delicious the next day, I don't know what happens after that as it has never lasted more than 24 hours without being eaten by someone! The great thing about it is that it has the texture of skillfully cooked al dente pasta and soaks up the sauce so well that you hardly taste the difference. The BEST thing however is that it is extremely low calorie, coming in around 150 calories per serving (according to the myfitnesspal app).

It's safe to say regular pasta is a thing of the past(a) in my kitchen...


No comments:

Post a Comment