Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Dairy-Free Blueberry Smoothie


This is a breakfast I have when I am in a hurry to get out the door. At first almond milk tasted a little strange to me but now I find the smoothie really tasty. Make sure to read the ingredients of your almond milk, as a lot of brands have really high sugar content... sneaky, right?


The recipe below makes one cup of smoothie. I pour all the ingredients into the measuring cup that came with the Braun Stick Blender set. It's my most used kitchen appliance.

Ingredients

Frozen Blueberries - just under 1/2 a cup
Oats = three tablespoons
Flaked Almonds - three tablespoons
Almond Milk - to fill cup to 250ml
Honey - one teaspoon

----------------------------------------------

Method

Put all the ingredients into your blender and whiz. Done!

----------------------------------------------

If you like your smoothies with a thicker texture, just add some more oats and/or almonds.

Oats do have gluten in them, a type of gluten called Avenin that most people with Coeliac can tolerate but if you're in doubt just swap the oats out for more almonds. 

This one I make is dairy-free, the oats are good source of fiber and the almonds add protein. 

No comments:

Post a Comment